We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
If you’re thinking about getting into graphic art for the first time, you might be wondering how to make graphic art on a computer. Many designers nowadays use computer and imaging software to make their creations.
There are several graphic editing software solutions available that provide a full range of drawing tools, allowing users to create images on a computer in the same way they can by hand.
The most challenging part of transitioning to graphic illustration is planning your setup and selecting a device. This article covers the most important considerations you should make while starting.
Adobe Photoshop is well-known among graphic design software users. Photoshop may be used to manipulate images in a variety of ways, from simple cutting to more sophisticated raster graphics.
How To Get Into Graphic Art?
It doesn’t have to be tough to learn graphic art for beginners. Graphic art is a skill that takes time and effort to master. Before you begin learning about graphic art, there are a few things you must complete. Follow these few guidelines:
- When working with graphic art, you’ll need a computer or tablet. It might be an Apple or Android tablet.
- Select the illustration software, tool, or app you’ll use to create your digital art.
- Make a rough sketch and determine what you want to make.
- To become comfortable with the program you’re using do the practice.
- Learn more about how to design graphic art by watching videos, tutorials, or enrolling in courses.
- Make your personal graphic art!
Above all, remember to have a good time. I know it sounds cliche, but having fun when learning anything new is really crucial. Otherwise, you’ll become bored and quit. To keep you motivated, get some fast wins.
If you want to know how to draw digital art on a laptop then read my article Best Laptop for Drawing.
How to Do Graphic Art?
How to make digital art? You’ll need a computer, a digital drawing application, and a tablet to create digital art. After that, you’ll be well on your way to excelling in digital drawing after learning the fundamentals of digital art and getting plenty of practice.
Method#1: Getting ready for the illustration
- On paper, do a basic drawing of your idea. It’s more crucial to get the main concepts and feel of the picture down in the sketch than it is to get the details correct.
- Scan your drawing for errors. Place drawing on the scanner face down. Start the scan after closing the scanner. When the file is completed scanning, give it a name and save it as a.PNG or.JPEG for the best quality.
- Use any application you wish to open the file with. Because it is free to download, GIMP is a wonderful choice for novices. Because of its restricted capabilities and difficult-to-view canvas, Microsoft Paint is probably not a viable choice. Adobe Photoshop is often used to create digital art.
- Furthermore, you can draw straight in your art software. Connect your tablet to the drawing application you’ve chosen. After that, make a new file and start drawing.
Method#2: Coloring and Outlining
- To begin, make a backdrop layer by using the new layer button and filling the translucent layer in white with the fill-in tool.
- Drag that layer to the bottom of the design, where it will become the initial layer. Create a new layer above your sketch layer for each key aspect of the drawing, such as the face, hair, clothes, and backdrop, and name them accordingly.
- Make a rough sketch of the drawing. Begin outlining the sketch using the brush tool on each layer you’ve made. Set the brush size to something modest, like 2 to 4 pixels.
- After you’ve finished outlining the entire drawing. Remove or hide the sketch layer so you may color in the outline without getting distracted by your original drawing’s scribbled lines.
- Fill in the basic colors. After you’ve sketched out the outline of your drawing, you’ll need to sketch out the colors. Color in all the major portions of your drawing with brushes of various sizes, depending on how large an area you’re filling in.
Method#3: Going to Finish Your Graphic Art
- You can perform a variety of things here depending on your abilities, style, and comfort level with the program. You may go right to the shading part or add extra layers to get even more intricate.
- Your drawing should be shaded. To begin shading, select the eyedropper tool and place it over the area to be shaded.
- Then drag the color to a darker shade in the color picker. Shade the area you’re working on using that color and the brush tool. Continue darkening the drawing until it is completely shaded.
- When you’re done, make sure to blend all of the layers together. First, make a backup of the file so that you can return to it later if necessary. Because.PNG and.JPEG can’t handle them, you’ll have to combine all of your layers into one to save in those formats.
- Save as from the file menu. Save the image as a.PNG or.JPEG file. You may open the PSD file, or whatever file type the application you used if you ever wish to edit something in the drawing.
How to Make Graphic Art Online?
Step 1: Choose your software
To make a professional-looking graphic design, you don’t need any fancy/expensive software.
There are a plethora of free software options available. Picmonkey is a program that I would suggest. It’s a browser-based editor that requires no download or installation.
Picmonkey was chosen because it is a free program that allows you to use your own fonts and pictures, and it is compatible with both Mac and PC. For a free program, it’s rather impressive. Picmonkey is the digital art software free.
Step 2: Choose Canvas
- Drag your mouse over the “Design” button at the top of the home page for more information.
- It will present you with six blank canvas possibilities.
- For your design, select a canvas.
Step 3: Choose Size
- Select Custom to make whatever size you want.
- I enjoy making Facebook timeline covers since it is a fun alternative.
Step 4: Choose Colors
- Use the color picker in the Canvas color tool to select a backdrop color.
- To use the hex code, simply click it.
- To apply the updated code, type it in and press “Enter” on your keyboard.
- If you’re making a logo or an image to overlay over another image after you’ve finished editing, choose transparent canvas.
Step 5: Choose Overlays
- After you’ve decided on a backdrop color, Select “Overlays” from the drop-down menu.
- Choose from a variety of overlays with the butterfly icon.
- Using the “your own” option at the top of the menu, you may layer your own photographs or designs.
Step 6: Choose Font/Text
- In the “Text” tab, you may also add your personal text or other free text.
- You may use any font on your computer, including custom fonts.
- The text tool’s “Yours” menu allows you to utilize fonts you’ve downloaded from free and paid font sources.
Step 7: Choose Design
- Only the canvas will receive textures, effects, and frames. If you want to apply this to the entire image, go to the top toolbar and click the merge symbol to combine text and overlays onto the canvas.
- You may start from scratch with the canvas option if you don’t have a photo.
- And make layered graphic and photographic pictures of all types.
Useful Graphic Art Tips
Here are some suggestions for how to make Graphic art on a computer that has proven to be useful:
- To retain picture quality, start with a bigger canvas and scale down as you complete files.
- Take your time learning your software and how to use the tools you’ve selected.
- Learn from other artists by watching tutorials.
- Use layers and the undo button to your advantage.
- As you learn, avoid using too many brushes, pencils, colors, values, and so forth.
- Once you’ve figured out what works for you, customize your workplace.
- Have a clear idea of what you want to achieve with your work and how you want to use it.
- Study shortcuts, write them down and then put them to the test.
- Make a lot of sketches and use them to warm up before starting a new piece.
Digital Art Maker Apps
When it comes to making digital art, there are several apps and computer programs to select from. They serve additional purposes and will assist you in creating any form of digital art you choose in various ways. Here is a list of software that is suggested for beginners:
- Adobe Illustrator, Affinity Draw, Affinity Designer, Inkscape, and Gravit Designer were all created with organized drawing and isometric graphics in mind.
- Digital painting systems such as Adobe Photoshop, Affinity Photo, Krita, and Autodesk Sketchbook are excellent.
- Pixel and Voxel art may be created with PixelArt, Blender, and MagicaVoxel.
- Photoshop, Affinity Photo, and Gimp, the free image editor, are all developed specifically for digital art like PhotoBashing.
- For 3D sculpting, Maya is the industry standard, followed by Cinema 4D, Blender, and ZBrush.
Keep in mind that not all of these software applications and apps are free. Before you can download and start creating your digital art, you’ll need to pay for most of the software. However, there are several excellent free solutions available, and you may be offered a free trial before purchasing the program.
I really hope you found how to Make Graphic Art on a Computer to be an interesting article and that you learned a lot from it. Please let me know if there are any other topics you’d like me to address in the comments. I went through the finest ways for creating graphic art on a computer, including step-by-step instructions and apps.